Party Wall

If your plans to expand might affect the property next door, get expert advice

Party Wall header image

If you have extension, alteration or reconstruction plans that could affect your neighbour’s property, the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 dictates what a property owner, whether residential or commercial, must do. This usually includes using the expert advice of experienced Party Wall Surveyors such as Price Partnership. You can learn more about this from an explanatory leaflet available on Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors website.

A statutory appointment

The surveyor holds a statutory appointment. He or she is required to administer the statutory process impartially to facilitate the Building Owner’s works that the Act accords him or her a right to do. This means that the surveyor is not an agent of the Building Owner or Adjoining Owner and neither of them can be the surveyor’s clients.

If you are planning an extension of your property that may affect your neighbour’s building, you should consult us because we are experts in the Party Wall Act. Simon Price is a Director of the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors and a member of the Pyramus & Thisbe Club, both organisations who promote good practice in this field.

How we can help

We can provide expert advice on the procedure to both Building Owners (those undertaking the work) and to Adjoining Owners (those whose property is at risk of damage).
For Building Owners we would usually draft and serve the requisite notices; for Adjoining Owners we will take over matters on their behalf once they have received a notice. In other words, we act as an independent referee to ensure both parties are agreed to the work and that it is carried out to their mutual satisfaction.